CNAME Definition

Derek J. Balling dredd at megacity.org
Sat Feb 3 23:01:33 UTC 2001

RFC1034 3.6.2:

"The domain system provides such a feature using the canonical name
(CNAME) RR.  A CNAME RR identifies its owner name as an alias, and
specifies the corresponding canonical name in the RDATA section of the
RR.  If a CNAME RR is present at a node, no other data should be
present; this ensures that the data for a canonical name and its aliases
cannot be different.  This rule also insures that a cached CNAME can be
used without checking with an authoritative server for other RR types."

In your example, its not rejecting the 'foreign' CNAMES, its rejecting the
@ CNAME, as you have the myownjunk.com record containing a CNAME RR but
also SOA and NS RR's, which is verboten.

This has (as you can see) always been a violation of the RFC's as well.