Is there a max on the Serial Number?

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Sat Feb 3 13:54:19 UTC 2001

> SERIAL is 32 bits, unsigned and can't handle over 10 digits.
>
> The best that you can do is
>     ccyymmddNN
> where NN is a simple sequence number for that day.
> This can be a problem if you have more than 99 changes per day, say,
> because of DHCP dynamic updates.

If you're using DHCP you are best served using straight integers starting from
whatever point yu choose anyway. Trying to force a CCYYMMDDuu scheme
onto a dynamic zone sounds like a recipe for at least a nightmare, if not disaster..

I'm not even sure that it is currently possible to dictate the format of the serial number
that results from an update..