$include

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Feb 2 22:54:07 UTC 2001

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 04:06:56PM -0500, Charles Bodley wrote:
> Thanks works fine now. I always thought that $ORIGIN was required. Out of
> curiosity is there a way to look up all subdomains of a primary domain? The

If your default server is not an authoritative server for the domain
specified, you will have to specify an authoritative server's name.

dig axfr domain-name [ @server-hostname ]

or

nslookup <Enter>
server server-hostname <Enter>		[only if needed]
ls -d domain-name
^D

Once you have done one of these, search for the NS records in the
output that are delegating subdomains.

These will not work if the system from which you are doing this is
blocked from doing zone transfers from that server.

Alternately, if you are maintaining those zones, you could just search
for the NS records in the zone files!

	grep -i '[ ^I]ns[ ^I]' zone.whatever

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B