cname quick question

Erik Aronesty erik at primedata.org
Fri Feb 2 18:22:44 UTC 2001

To All,

1 - I thought the SOA was a "special record" and should be exempt form CNAME chaining, etc.  Apparently, if you request the SOA record for an alias using 'nslookup', it returns the SOA of the canonical name instead.  This behavior seems unusual and results in incorrect data (obviously).  Is this an oversight in RFC1034/3.6.2?  It seems to me that the SOA returned should be from the alias (left hand side), not the canonical name.

2 - Likewise for NS records, for the same reasons.

			- Erik