Simple question that doesn't let me sleep :)

Peter Rose peter.rose1 at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 2 15:40:17 UTC 2001

Yes,

That's pretty straightforward -

You set up the nameserver on your machine to handle your ip addresses
and your main domain name, then you alias all the virtual hosts onto
that using the VirtualHosts directive in Apache.

Once you're set up, you'll be registering your own domain names with
your own nameserver addresses.

HTH

Peter Rose
London UK

In message <000201c08d2b$70fb4740$3201a8c0 at PROGS>, Vitali Malicky
<vitali at mbs.kharkov.com> writes

>Hello ladies and gentlemen!
>
>I have been given a definite task:
>
>1 to make several virtual ip-based hosts;
>2 to set up a name server on that macchine;
>3 to make that name server to resolve all those virtual host names
>  (so that not to pay our ISP for registering a number of new domain names);
>
>  for example:
>  I buy an ip-address, invent a domain name, check out if it already exists in
>the internet,
>  if not, then I can give it to one of my virtual hosts, and if someone from the
>  internet wants to see my site on that virtual hosts the dns query comes to my
>  name server where the qurey is resolved and everything is OK as a result :)
>
>  Is it technically possible or is it possible at all.
>  Thanks in advance for any help both little and detailed.
>
>The best of luck to you.
>Vitali Malicky
>System Administrator
>vitali at mbs.kharkov.com