PRE-ANNOUNCEMENT: BIND-Members Forum

Mr. James W. Laferriere babydr at baby-dragons.com
Thu Feb 1 13:43:13 UTC 2001

	Hello All ,

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Paul A Vixie wrote:
> ISC has historically depended upon the "bind-workers" mailing list, and
> CERT advisories, to notify vendors of potential or actual security flaws
> in its BIND package.  Recent events have very clearly shown that there is
> a need for a fee-based membership forum consisting only of:

	Could we please get a -reason- for the Fee & its value ?
	Also the questions that others have asked -completely- answered ?

> 	1. ISC itself
> 	2. Vendors who include BIND in their products
> 	3. Root and TLD name server operators
> 	4. Other qualified parties (at ISC's discretion)
> Requirements of bind-members will be:
> 	1. Not-for-profit members can have their fees waived
> 	2. Use of PGP (or possibly S/MIME) will be mandatory
> 	3. Members will receive information security training
> 	4. Members will sign strong nondisclosure agreements

	Might I suggest that the NDA be a public document ?
	and be public before anyone signs it , please ?

> Features and benefits of "bind-members" status will include:
> 	1. Private access to the CVS pool where bind4, bind8 and bind9 live
> 	2. Reception of early warnings of security or other important flaws
> 	3. Periodic in-person meetings, probably at IETF's conference sites

	Nanog also ? IE: Why just ietf ?

> 	4. Participation on the bind-members mailing list

	Might I also suggest a read-only version of the mailinglist/... ?

> If you are a BIND vendor, root or TLD server operator, or other interested
> party, I urge you to seek management approval for entry into this forum, and
> then either contact, or have a responsible party contact, isc-info at isc.org.
	From this pasrt of your message an individual without largish
	financial backing might not be able to afford this ?  Or are
	trying to get more management level exposure ?  Tia ,  JimL

       | James   W.   Laferriere | System  Techniques | Give me VMS     |
       | Network        Engineer | 25416      22nd So |  Give me Linux  |
       | babydr at baby-dragons.com | DesMoines WA 98198 |   only  on  AXP |