BIND 8.2.3 Classless Example

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Thu Feb 1 09:53:39 UTC 2001

> The essential answer is that ALL the CNAME RRs have to come first
> in a given zone file.  Then all the PTRs, with each "Classless"
> subnet anchored by an $ORIGIN.  I've pasted a functioanl example
> into a page at <http://www.digipro.com/Papers/bind-8.2.3.shtml>.

Hmm. May I ask why you think it necessary to publish CNAME records for
PTRs if you put the PTRs into the same zone anyway? You could just
publish the PTR record at the non-classless level if you manage the
parent domain anyway.

The CNAME 'trick'/method is intended for cases where you need to delegate
parts of a block to another authority.

> On bugs, "ndc reload" doesn't notice when A and PTR records are
> changed.  You'll get the OLD and the NEW PTR records.

Did you change the serial number of the zone?
Could you elaborate or show an actual example?