Our DNS *sometimes* works and I can't figure out the problem!

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Feb 1 01:30:52 UTC 2001

Your domain is delegated to DNS.GENESISCOM.COM and NS2.GENESISCOM.COM but
you're only advertising "blastpoint.com" in your NS records. This is a
*big* problem when the "blastpoint.com" A record happens to expire from a
nameserver's cache, since then there is no way for it to resolve anything in
your domain until the NS record also expires from the cache, at which time a
fresh delegation is fetched, the name resolves, and the cycle repeats.
Basically, you're creating a periodic chicken-and-egg dilemma for nameservers
all over the Net.

Repeat after me: THE NS RECORDS IN A ZONE SHOULD ALWAYS BE THE SAME AS,
OR A SUPERSET, OF THE DELEGATION NS RECORDS. The fact that
"blastpoint.com" happens to have the same IP address as
DNS.GENESISCOM.COM doesn't grant any exemption from that fundamental rule.

Not to mention that only advertising 1 NS record -- regardless of whether it
matches a delegation record or not -- is a bad idea anyway, from the standpoint
of redundancy...

- Kevin