Help setting up DNS-settings for my directnic.com registered domain

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Dec 27 18:44:49 UTC 2001

In article <a0fle4$g55 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Riku Nurminen <rakkis at madqon.org> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>So here we go; I've just registered my own domain (rakkis.net) at
>www.directnic.com. Currently I'm using directnic's free hosting to host my
>site; with banners, no CGI, PHP nor MySQL. That's not a real domain at all!
>
>Then I heard about granitecanyon.com that provides free primary and
>secondary DNS, and thought that maybe I could set up a kind of a CNAME for
>my domain, so that it would resolve for example to my home-adsl IP-address,
>the IP-address wouldn't resolve backwards to rakkis.net, but who cares,
>rakkis.net would go to my machine, and I could run whatever I want there.
>Anyways, I'm pretty new to DNS things, and I'd need little help setting up
>all this at granitecanyon, so if anyone could go and check how the thing
>works there I'd greatly appreciate that. Currently I'm wondering something
>like this for the zonefile:
>
>rakkis.net.  IN  NS ns1.granitecanyon.com.
>rakkis.net.  IN  NS ns2.granitecanyon.com.
>
>rakkis.net.  IN  A    my.home.ip.number
>www.rakkis.net IN CNAME rakkis.net.
>more-vhosts.rakkis.net IN CNAME rakkis.net.

That's right.  There are some boilerplate records (SOA, RP, and TXT)
missing from what you wrote above, but I assume you were just abbreviating.

>Then just change granitecanyons DNS servers to directnic.com for my domain.
>
>So would this work?

That last part won't.  Unless you change the registration of your domain to
point to granitecanyon.com, no one will ever query the GC servers.  You
need to get the directnic.com servers totally out of the loop if they won't
let you customize the DNS entries.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA