What is a "lame" server ??

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 27 00:16:02 UTC 2001

Matt Darcy wrote:

> Dec 26 23:27:48 jordan named[10337]: lame server on
> 'alesi.projecthugo.co.uk' (i
> n 'projecthugo.co.uk'?): 217.34.194.218#53
> Dec 26 23:27:48 jordan named[10337]: lame server on
> 'berger.projecthugo.co.uk' (
> in 'projecthugo.co.uk'?): 217.34.194.218#53

A lame server is one that doesn't answer correctly for a zone it
is expected to.

Typically it is delegated from above, but does not set the
authoritive flag on answers (AA in the flags section of dig's
output). BIND 9 also complains that servers are lame under
slightly different conditions, but the basic principal is
something bad happen such that I didn't get a usable answer from
a server that should have been able to answer the query.

My guess is that you have some suspect data in the zone file
that isn't acceptable to alesi. Check the logs from the last
time BIND restarted on "alesi", and the last zone transfer logs
on "berger". Failing that post the current contents of the zone
file from  alesi.