forward query not working

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Dec 26 15:22:16 UTC 2001

In article <a0b6am$po1 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Rahul Parasnis <rparasnis at clj.co.jp> wrote:

>what could be reason of following error
>
>ns_forw: query(tock.cs.unlv.edu) NS points to CNAME
>(egr-stu-fs.egr.unlv.edu:) learnt (CNAME=199.103.103.48:NS=199.103.103.48)
>
>I have internal DNS Server which forwards query to internet DNS Server .
>I have thie error on internal DNS Server .

The cs.unlv.edu domain has the following record:

cs.unlv.edu. IN NS	egr-stu-fs.egr.unlv.edu.

Since NS records are supposed to point to primary names,
egr-stu-fs.egr.unlv.edu should have an A record, but instead it has a CNAME
record:

egr-stu-fs.egr.unlv.edu.  IN CNAME  egr-fac-fs-18.egr.unlv.edu.

Unless you're the administrator of the egr.unlv.edu domain, this isn't your
problem.  However, it looks like they've already fixed it; the CNAME record
showed up in my server's cache the first time i looked, but then it went
away.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA