Bind-NT 8.2.4/5 - fails on too many results?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Dec 25 03:21:01 UTC 2001

At 06:38 PM 12/24/2001, Bill wrote:

>A clean install of 9.2.0 was a disaster.  It ran ok but it didn't
>cache *anything* and always waited about 2 seconds before doing
>anything after getting any standard query that wasn't a local zone.

That is most probably due to a 2 second timeout in a socket select
function before it can add another socket to the list. Unlike on Unix
there is no way of adding the management pipe to the list. This
whole area is due for a total rewrite not just because of this issue
which could be solved another way, but to provide fast processing
of network connections by using I/O Completion Ports. It wasn't a
primary goal get this working efficiently right away.

How do you know that it's not caching anything?

>That was fun.  It DID correctly look up r1-ge5-0.roalok1.mi.home.net
>using my ISPs DNS as a helper.

That WAS a goal of this release on Win32.

>BIND9-NT (9.2.0) just takes too long to do 2 lookups in a row.  Since
>NSLOOKUP always looks up the server, too, this makes it slooooow.
>Browser and DIG doesn't do this so it's fast - unless I do 2 quick
>queries back-to-back.  Interesting.

How are you seeing this?

>I cleanly installed 8.2.5 (BIND9-NT uninstaller first, checked all
>remnants and the uninstaller does everything well with the system
>files).  I did some serious looking at what 8.2.5 does looking up
>good-old r1-ge5-0.roalok1.mi.home.net.  First, 8.2.5 performs pretty
>well all around - fast, caches and all very nicely.
>
>But handling r1-ge5-0.roalok1.mi.home.net was fun to watch.  Yes...
>NSLOOKUP doesn't have enough timeout time to do much good.  DIG does.
>That's *the* difference.

How do you know?

>When the BIND-NT.8.2.5 server is queried for
>r1-ge5-0.roalok1.mi.home.net it turns around as expected and does a
>regular UDP query of my helper DNS which replies with a truncated
>response.  Now comes the fun.  BIND sees this and has a little fit of
>doing a TCP SYN/SYN-ACK/RST (open/close) of both my DNS helpers.
>Eventually, after about 8 seconds of this thrashing, it does a proper
>TCP DNS query and gets the reply.  DIG hasn't timed out so DIG works -
>takes 15 seconds to display but it DOES work.  NSLOOKUP has long timed
>out when it straightens out so the reply gets tossed.

What tool are you using to see this?

>There is no difference in server queries from NSLOOKUP and DIG.  Same
>same SAME.  Same queries with same option bits.  Timeout and NSLOOKUP
>adds the lookup of the DNS server is the only differences.  Thought
>I'd let you know why people may have issues with NSLOOKUP.  (btw, this
>is Win2K's NSLOOKUP - the BIND-NT ones have longer timeouts and do
>work - sometimes.)

We can't deal with Microsoft's version here since we have no idea how
it works as compared to BIND's.

         Danny