DNS server problem

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Dec 24 16:16:42 UTC 2001

In article <a06l4c$7pq at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Rahul Garg <rahul at shaktipro.com> wrote:
>well the problem goes like this-
>
>i have made my linux m/c as dns server and its domain is linux
>i have another windows server and its domain is say windows.
>now when a request comes,  i want is my linux m/c dns server to
>first lookup for linux dns server (with domain linux) and if not present
>then it should look up for windows server(domain shakti)

I thought you said the domain was "windows".  Where did "shakti" come from?

>ie. i should be able to ping to windows serverm/c and its clients even if
>those clients(hosts) are not mentioned as hosts in linux dns server.
>
>what i think is , i have to make windows server as slave of linux server
>- am i riht?
>if yes, then where i have to make changes -on linux m/ c or windows m/c
>and what changes??

On the Linux server, create a forwarding zone:

zone "windows" {
  type forward;
  forwarders { <address of windows server>; };
};

On the client machines, make their DNS search list be the Linux server.
Configure a domain suffix list of "linux" and "windows".  When they enter a
name, they'll first try to look up <name>.linux, and when that fails
they'll try to look up <named>.windows.  When the Linux server gets the
second query it will forward to the Windows server.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA