Should bind 9 be installed in chrooted environment?

Eivind Olsen eivind.olsen at ttyl.com
Sun Dec 23 11:14:29 UTC 2001

--On 22. desember 2001 17:57 +0400 Angelina Paunovic <paun at emirates.net.ae>
wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have some doubts regarding running bind 9 in chrooted environment.
> I run bind 9 in charooted environment and it crashed a few times with
> error
> pointing at time variable in some bind subroutines.
> I downloaded binaries from www.sunfreeware.com. (Solaris 8, SPARC).
> I guess it was crashing because something was and still is missing in
> chrooted environment.

If the fault you get mentions that the "tv_usec out of range" or something
like that, then it's apparantly something that's caused by a bug in
Solaris. I've seen it a few times here as well earlier. I don't think it's
related to the chroot-ing at all.

You could of course contact Sun and tell them to fix the bug, but I doubt
they'd fix it. The only statement I've seen from Sun on this matter is
basically something like "Ok, so gettimeofday() might give incorrect values
from time to time. If it does, just try it again.".

You say you run BIND 9, but don't mention which version. My guess is that
you're running BIND 9.1.3 or older. BIND 9.2.0 has a workaround for that
bug, so you might consider upgrading to BIND 9.2.0? Or, you could do what
we did here - there are two files in the BIND 9.1.3 source-code that refers
to the tv_usec value, and these files can be replaced with the same files
from BIND 9.2.0 (which contains the workaround for the bug). Sorry, but I
don't remember which files those were. Then, recompile it as normal and you
have BIND 9.1.3 with the workaround.

--
Talk To You Later
Eivind Olsen