How to set load balancing within DNS servers?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Dec 20 16:00:12 UTC 2001

In article <9vs2c0$9p at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
David Xiao <xiao at info.sta.net.cn> wrote:

>Hello,
>  I have use two servers as DNS Servers.
>One is dns1 as primary server.The other is dns2 as secondary server.
>But with the rapid growth of the zone file and DNS query,
>the cpu useage of dns1 has reach 90% sometimes.
>  So I block some query with blockhole option in BIND8.
>Now the average cpu useage is 40% now.
>  But I want to improve the DNS performance using server load balacing.
>How can I do that?Urgently Need help.

It should happen automatically if the two servers have similar response
times.  Other servers keep track of response times, and use the server that
has responded fastest in the past.  If two servers for a domain have close
response times, it selects randomly.

Are your servers also being used as caching servers by your users?  In that
case, the solution is to change the DNS Search Order on half of them to use
dns2 first.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA