DNS problem.

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 17 18:38:59 UTC 2001

derek wrote:

> This is an append to my previous message :
>
> >I'm having a problem with an install of bind.  Our company recently
> >switched ISPs and the DNS server that I built using Linux Redhat 6.2
> >is not propogating to the outside world.  The outside DNS servers
> >continue to use our old ISP which is going to be cut off in a couple
> >weeks.  I can ping it and when I use nslookup server, it seems to find
> >it properly only occassionally.  I'm pretty new to this DNS stuff so
> >if someone could list a few places where I could look for problems, it
> >would be appreciated.
>
> the domain is www.serebra.com
> dns #1 is ns1.firstclass.ca (our old domain name was firstclass.ca)
> dns #2 is ns2.firstclass.ca
>
> weird thing is, yesterday morning i tried pinging the dns servers that we
> have, and i got back the IP addresses that we had with our old ISP, and then
> about 5 or 6 hours later, I did the same thing and I got back the IP
> addresses from our new ISP.

Nothing leaps out so far except that ns2.firstclass.ca is dead.
The gtld-servers list three names servers the extra one is;
swiss.direct.ca

This third server is lame.

My guess is that the Swiss server had the old value cached - but
if thats the case the recursive server should have a lame
message or some such - not sure it should accept the lame
result, but it takes all types.

Sort out swiss.direct.ca and ns2.firstclass.ca and see if the
problems go away.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768