CNAME records having MX

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Dec 17 16:42:14 UTC 2001

>>> Yes, it can. This is perfectly fine:
>>>
>>> foo     IN  MX  0   mail
>>> mail    IN  A       192.168.1.10
>>> bar     IN  CNAME   mail
>>>
>>> That's perfectly fine.

>>Well, that is a VERY loose interpretation of "associated with it", and

>Who said it was?  That's an example of "CNAME can point to an MX".

Technically (and I think that the other responders have the same idea),
it is not "an example of 'CNAME can point to an MX'".
It is a CNAME and an MX record pointing to the same RHS nodename.
I believe that if you had

     foo     IN  MX  0   mail
     mail    IN  A       192.168.1.10
     bar     IN  CNAME   foo

where there was no "A" record for "foo", then this would be an invalid
configuration.  I am not sure what "pointing to an MX" really means.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov