CNAME records having MX

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Sat Dec 15 00:07:53 UTC 2001

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 03:31:34PM -0800, glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
> I thought I was answering, in the one that you responded to,
> xxx being the right side of a CNAME.
>
> I agree that the other two are wrong.
>
> I had three statements in the original post, the two I said were
> wrong you agreed with.  By "points to" I mean the RHS value,
> as that is, to me, what a CNAME or MX does.
>
> thanks,
>
> -- glen

The original question said "associated with", which was even more
imprecise.  If you can find my answer on isc.org or elsewhere, I tried
to remove the confusion.  The typical questions are:
	why can't I send my mail to a CNAME alias?
	why can't I have my alias also be the LHS to another record,
	e.g., MX?
I believe the latter to be the question being asked, although it is
hard to tell.

I find my answer at

The subject line is "CNAME records having MX".  Not vice versa.  It may
just be everyone being more tired and having trouble figuring out what
others mean, right now - and I do include myself in that.

I hope you don't mind my feeding these replies back into the mailing
list.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B