bind9

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Dec 14 00:57:10 UTC 2001

In article <9vbhvg$8jq at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Jobe Bittman  <jobe at tns.net> wrote:
>I'm switching to bind9 and I'm interested in having my secondary name
>server automatically get names of zones to slave from the primary name
>server. Is that how NOTIFYs work? I thought this was what dynamic updates
>did, but now that I'm trying to set it up, I'm finding little information.

There's nothing in the DNS protocol that allows you to get the list of
zones from a server.  NOTIFY is used by a master to tell the slaves when a
change has been made to the zone, so they'll pull a zone transfer
immediately instead of waiting for the refresh timer.  Dynamic updates are
used to send individual changes to the contents of a zone to the master
server (e.g. to add an A record when DHCP assigns an address to a PC).

The usual way to do what you want is to run a script that reads the
master's named.conf and changes all the "type master" clauses to "type
slave" and adds the "masters { <address of master>; }" clauses.  Then use
some kind of file transfer to move this to the slave.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA