workaround for unwanted dynamic updates

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Thu Dec 13 23:19:55 UTC 2001

> 	Among other things, I administer name servers which house a lot
> (six figures) of zones for our customers. For a long time now, we've had a
> problem with customers setting up their win 2k boxes (et al) with
> hostnames in the domains they purchase from us, which (as I understand it)
> has the "register your host in dns" option turned on by default. In any
> case, after reading several discussions about the same problem on this
> list, all without a solution that would work for us, I hit upon the idea
> of changing the MNAME field in the SOA to be bogus-name.mydomain.com,
> which would prevent the errant w2k machine from being able to contact any
> of my servers with their update packets.

That's a good idea.  I think it's been invented in parallel by several
people, including my friend Mike Milligan.

> 	My purpose in writing is twofold. First, to offer this as a
> potential solution for others that are in my position; with apologies to
> anyone who might have already suggested this in a thread that I missed.
> Second, is to throw the topic open for discussion to see if there might be
> a downside that I missed in my testing. Before deploying this I did test
> with a win 2k machine to try and make sure I wasn't breaking anything. The
> potential downside seems small given that the updates already were not
> succeeding. I'm aware that the MNAME field is not generally used by
> anything other than dynamic updates, although some ccTLD registries
> (especially .fr) do check to see if this field matches the primary name
> server... although I still don't understand why. :) To avoid that issue,
> I'm not changing my .fr zone file template, although I've changed the
> others. I've been using the bogus MNAME for a week now, so far no
> customer, or any other kind of complaints related to this issue.

The only other DNS mechanism that I know of that uses the MNAME field
is NOTIFY.  NOTIFY messages aren't sent to the name server listed in
the MNAME field.  But if the primary master receives a NOTIFY message,
it'll just ignore it.

> 	Another idea is to actually set up a name server on an IP whose
> only job is to reject the dynamic updates. The problem I see with that is
> that we're still wasting (a small amount of) bandwidth, and those win 2k
> machines are very insistent. The first burst of updates comes when the
> machine boots... 5 in a row spaced one second apart. Then it sends other
> bursts periodically while the machine is up. The other side of this coin
> would be to set up a name server (or simillar construct) whose only job is
> to say yes to the dynamic updates. That would make the win 2k server
> happy, and eliminate the regular retries. However, I'm not sure what that
> would break down the road (I'm far from a windows expert) and it just
> feels wrong to me. Given that my first choice solution worked with no
> apparent ill effect to the win 2k machine I tested on, I thought it was
> safest.
>
> 	So, what do y'all think? Opinions are welcome, especially from
> those knowledgeable about windows. Of course, my FIRST choice was to make
> my MNAME dns1.cp.msft.net, but I didn't think that'd fly with the
> lawyers....

I like the idea of setting up a name server to allow all the dynamic
updates.  How about setting up a "dynamic update honey pot":

options {
	allow-query { none; };
};

zone "." {
	type master;
	file "db.root";
	allow-update { any; };
};

I'm not sure that would work, but it'd be funny.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes