DNS Config

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Dec 10 22:28:13 UTC 2001

In article <9v38i9$kvd at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Steve Wright <submissions at stevewrightonline.co.uk> wrote:
>Hey Guys,
>
>having some major issues understanding how to config a new value into a DNS
>Server, so any help is much appreciated.
>
>My aim is to map the host name http://yearbook to the IP Address
>192.168.2.232.

You need to specify a domain suffix.  If your users have a default domain
suffix in their DNS resolver configurations they can leave it off when they
type the URL, but as far as the DNS server is concerned all names must be
fully qualified.

>This is for an internal network.
>
>I know that i have to add the following zone (or something similar to the
>following zone) to the named.conf file:
>zome "2.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
>        type master;
>        file "192.168.2.232";
>    }

That zone is for mapping adresses back to names.  For mapping names to
addresses, you should just add an A record to the DB file for your domain.

>However, i am struggling to find the format for the file 192.168.2.232 for
>internal DNS. I have found multiple versions for external, but none for
>internal.

The configuration of internal and external DNS is identical.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA