Running bind on a NAT'd server behind a firewall?

Russ Huntington russh at taggamers.com
Sat Dec 8 13:24:04 UTC 2001

Hello there...

First off I'll say that I've been running bind behind a firewall for
about 6
months and its working just fine.  Your named.conf looks good...least to
me it does.   Some of the things you didn't mention are your actual zone
files.  Do you have slave servers off your private network?  If not, why
try to send zone transfers through your firewall?  I've got my master
server only allowing zone transfers on my private IP range (actually
only with my slave server).  But that is the only mention in any of my
zone records to my internal range...all the rest are "live".

Hope it helps.

Russ