Bind behind MDK SNF

Joseph Watson jtwatson at datakota.com
Sat Dec 8 07:09:13 UTC 2001

Hello,

	I am usring Mandrakes SNF, and am trying to get bind working behind this
firewall using port forwarding and forwarding port 53, both udp and tcp,
through to me bind server.  In testing, outgoing connections through this
firewall by both the server and clients worked great.  But any server or
client on the internet trying to access my DNS server got no responce???  I
noticed packet bing denied on the firewall that were up in the 65000 range,
but dismissed this as something else.  But I just came across something
that made me think this may be linked????  I found the following snip in
the default /etc/named.conf file that came with a Mandrake 8.1 install:

         /*
          * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
          * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
          * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
          * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
          * port by default.
          */
         // query-source address * port 53;

This seems to be self explanitory, but how do I open up the unprivliged
ports to make this work???? or am I seeing this thing wrong??

If someone could give me some ideas it would be great!!

Thanks,

Joseph