DNS capabilities for formatting a clean host table

Pozar, Frank frank.pozar at eds.com
Thu Dec 6 20:33:48 UTC 2001

Are there any commands that can be used to pull hostname/IP lists from the
dns zone files and format them to be easily captured in a file?
We are in a UNIX environment and are looking to turn off the NIS host map..
We have many scripts that pull data from the host map using the ypcat
command and others. We need an alternative source file for the scripts to
access and would like to derive it from the DNS tables which always contain
the latest.

Can nslookup or dig provide this data??

Thanks....