Why are they asking for both the DNS server and the IP?

Will Yardley ilovednsrelatedspam at hq.newdream.net
Tue Dec 4 20:25:37 UTC 2001

Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <9uj8u0$o3l at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
> Jackrabbit Slim  <jackrabbit at taxplus.net> wrote:

> >So if my dsl provider (Pacbell) has assigned me a host name of
> >"adsl-123-456-789-123.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net" should I put that into the
> >first field?
>
> You could, although most people find it preferable to use a shorter
> hostname in their own domain.  E.g. ns.mydomain.com.

if you have a static IP address, call pac bell and have them add a
different PTR record for that hostname.  they will also do rfc2317 style
delegation probably (at least they do for me) so that you can control
your own reverse.  the first solution is better if you don't plan on
making frequent changes.

if you have a dynamic IP you probably shouldn't be running a nameserver
on it :>

--
William Yardley                   System Administrator, Newdream Network
william at hq.newdream.net         http://infinitejazz.net/will/pgp/gpg.asc