can i hold the reverse delegation or my client?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Dec 3 16:03:59 UTC 2001

In article <9uauor$b52 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Jake Jack Crack  <skyM at k.ro> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>   this is a problem i've talked to some other guys and
>   we don't seem to agree on that.
>
>   we (our organization) have been assigned recently a Class C network by
>RIPE (since we're european). Let's call it 80.96.x.0/24.
>   but then right away came along a client who said they
>were in a hurry and don't have the time to wait until
>RIPE assigns them a Class C network and they want ours.
>
>   they also requested that we make a reverse delegation for this class
>(80.96.x.0/24).
>    so we sent an email to our local IR(Internet Registry) with the details
>(the client's nameservers).
>
>   NOW THE QUESTION IS:  who would hold the delegation?

RIPE

>   RIPE directly (the info on their nameservers point directly to my client
>and i don't configure anything on my nservers) or i have to configure the
>x.96.80.in-addr.arpa on my 2 nservers and have CNAMEs which point to the
>client's
>nservers?

If you didn't already send the change to RIPE, you could use the RFC 2317
technique to redelegate the entire /24 to the customer:

0/24 IN NS ns1.customer.com.
     IN NS ns2.customer.com.

$GENERATE 0-255 $ CNAME $.0/24

Then the customer would make himself authoritative for
0/24.x.96.80.in-addr.arpa.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA