nxdomain error

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Sun Dec 2 18:46:49 UTC 2001

> I have two dns-servers at 200.198.77.34 and 200.198.77.35, and when
> querying it with the nslookup and dnsquery everything appears as
> normal.
>
> These queries is being diverted (ipfilter rdr) to and internal
> (192.168..) server.
>
> I am even using it here as my default servers - and we are not in the
> same link, some kilometers apart. everything runs smoothly, it is
> resolving any names, I am surfing in a very normal fashion.
>
> BUT:
>
> a) when starting named, after a few seconds of the message *listening
> on..*, suddenly pops the following message:
>
> :=== begin
>
> named[2876]:sysquery:findns error (NXDOMAIN) on
> deviant-1.77.198.200.in-addr.arp
> named[2876]:sysquery:findns error (NXDOMAIN) on
> deviant-2.77.198.200.in-addr.arp
>
> :=== end

In the zone data file for 77.198.200.in-addr.arpa, you have records
like:

	IN	NS	deviant-1
	IN	NS	deviant-2

The domain names after "NS" should be fully qualified, and should
end with a dot.

Also, unless you copied the messages wrong, you're calling your
reverse-mapping zone "77.198.200.in-addr.arp" instead of
"77.198.200.in-addr.arpa."

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes