Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Dec 1 01:55:28 UTC 2001

Henrik Samal wrote:

> Yes, i mean replace. There are already PTR records for them in the ISPs
> "31.13.217.in-addr.arpa" zone.
>
> Im not shure what you mean with that i need "some leading whitespace for
> those NS records". I already have a domain (samal.no), registered and hosted
> my another isp, witch am planning to have my ip adresses resolve to. E.g.
> 217.13.31.120 to ns.samal.no. I just have to tell the ISP hosting samal.no
> today that i would be master for it. Then i have to define ns.samal.no to
> point 217.13.31.120 with an A record in the forward zone.
> ns.someotherdomain.no would be slave for the forward samal.no zone and the
> reverse for the 120-127.31.13.217.in-addr.arpa zone. ns.someotherdomain.no
> would be defined by the ISP who is going to be my secondary.
>
> This would work, or im i wrong?

No, you misunderstand. My comment about whitespace referred only to the syntax
of your zonefile. It had nothing whatsoever to do with who is master and who is
slave of any particular zone(s).

The following format is *not* a legal RR: "NS ns.mydomain.no.". named would
parse that as a record with the name "NS". But then it's missing a record type.
See the problem now?

- Kevin