Logging activity

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Aug 31 19:35:41 UTC 2001

In article <9montn$np7 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Kevin Darcy  <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
>Huh? What does starting named directly from init have to do with data size
>limits?

When you reach the data size limit, the process exits.  You need some
mechanism to restart it when that happens, and respawn is being suggested
as that mechanism.

Note that if you do this, you also have to make it run in the foreground,
rather than backgrounding itself as a daemon.  Otherwise, init will respawn
named processes continuously.  I know that named runs in the foreground if
given the -d (debug) option; is there a way to do it without enabling
debugging?

> You can set data size limits directly within named.conf, or you
>could set them in whatever rc script starts named. Setting named as
>"respawn" might backfire badly if there's some persistent error that causes
>named to crash (although most modern init's will eventually stop trying to
>respawn it).

This is true no matter what mechanism you use to restart named
automatically when it aborts.  The alternative is to have your monitoring
system notify someone whenever it detects that named isn't running, so that
they can investigate and restart it manually.  But if you've set your
datasize limit low, so that it aborts frequently, this could be extremely
inconvenient.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA