Question about DDNS

Cricket Liu cricket at nxdomain.com
Thu Aug 30 20:23:09 UTC 2001

> From what I know about BIND/DDNS, an updater (that is allowed to
> update the zone) will fetch the zone's NS records. Then it will send
> the update to the selected server. If that server is not actually
> primary for the zone, it will forward that update request on up. So
> assuming I am somewhat correct and on the right track, I have a couple
> of questions:
>
> o Assuming first of all, I would only allow my DHCP server to update
> on client's behalf... Once the updater fetches NS records for the
> zone, how does it select to which name server to send the update?

Most updaters would also look up the zone's SOA record, and would
compare the MNAME field to the NS records' RDATA.  If the MNAME
matched one of the NS records, the updater would assume that was the
domain name of the primary master name server and would send its update
there.  Microsoft updaters actually send the update to the MNAME
regardless of whether the MNAME is in the NS list.

> o If the master the update eventually makes its way to is down, is
> that update dropped on the floor, ie, is there any queuing mechanisim
> in place.

No.

cricket