REPOST: renaming primary nameserver

Yanek Korff yanek at cigital.com
Thu Aug 30 19:29:08 UTC 2001

I couldn't find anything about this in the archives or FAQ, please point me
to docs if I missed them.  No responses to my first E-Mail.

Is there a recommended procedure for renaming your primary nameserver?
Netsol has to be notified, SOA must change, NS records must be changed, but
in what order?  And should TTL's be adjusted during the transition period?
Any advice would be much appreciated.  Perhaps the following sequence of
steps is sufficient?

Assuming nameserver is currently a.domain.com and needs to be b.domain.com.

1. Change SOA to b.domain.com
2. Change NS to b.domain.com
3. Change A record to be b.domain.com
4. Change in-addr.arpa to resolve to b.domain.com
5. Restart named
6. Submit changes to Netsol

-Yanek.