SENDMAIL returning 550 host not found errors

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Aug 30 18:13:11 UTC 2001

In article <9mlucl$5cd at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Scott Statland <s_statland at yahoo.com> wrote:

>I am trying to set up sendmail 8.10.2+sun on s sparc machine running
>Solaris 8 and bind 9. Every mail that get sent to that host returns the
>following:
>
>   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
><s_statland at yahoo.com>
>
>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>550 5.1.2 <s_statland at yahoo.com>... Host unknown (Name server:
>yahoo.com: host not found)
>
>Also, for some reason, I can't get incoming mail. I have MX records
>pointed to my machine.
>
>Any ideas? I am sure that I screwed something up here.

Without any information about how you configured your DNS it's quite
difficult to diagnose.

Does your /etc/resolv.conf file point to your nameserver's address?  Do you
have a correct root hints file in the named configuration?  Does your
firewall allow DNS queries to go out and the responses to come back in?

What does:

dig yahoo.com mx

show?

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net