[Q] DNS record on previous name server

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Aug 30 14:38:32 UTC 2001

In article <9mkq9a$qr4 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Chiyuki Ikejima  <tito at MWC.BIGLOBE.NE.JP> wrote:
>Yes you are right. It is a legal problem and it will be so, as long as DNS
>keeps today's way. My interest is simple. Should it be like this?

It would be nice if DNS weren't so dependent on server operators doing the
right thing.  But unless a major redesign is done, that's the way it will
stay.

It's strongly recommended that nameserver operators (especially ISPs) use
separate servers for authoritative and caching name service.  That way, if
they have extraneous zones on their authoritative servers, it won't affect
the clients who use their caching servers.  Unfortunately, I don't think
most small ISPs follow this advice.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA