merged company DNS transition - stubs

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 29 19:19:42 UTC 2001

Alan Cheski wrote:

> Hello, we have a scenario here that I was hoping
> someone would be able to provide some input on. Our
> company was taken over and now we are trying to allow
> host resolution between our zones. We are using the
> stub record in named.conf. It works ok for the .com
> zone but we have a small problem with the .net zone.
> Prior to using stubs, a couple .net addresses were
> added to our zone and point to our servers so that we
> can access some info from the new company. If we add a
> .net stub, the resolution provides an IP from the new
> company. But, we want to override this for the 3 or 4
> addresses that our in our network. Is there a way to
> use a stub for .net but override the lookup of the 3-4
> addresses we want to resolve in our local domain??

You could define those particular names as separate zones on all of your
nameservers.

Ultimately, however, you should pursue establishing a rapport with the
other company's DNS admins so that you can co-ordinate the maintenance of
DNS data in the correct zones instead of kludging all over the place.

- Kevin