type forward question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 29 19:15:22 UTC 2001

I'm not sure what you mean by "strict" delegation. Delegation is
delegation. As for BIND "changing query to type ALL", I find this hard to
believe -- neither BIND nor any other DNS implementation I know changes the
type of a client's query (although when fetching glue of course it may
issue subsidiary NS and/or A queries). And why would the client even be
asking about a zone that doesn't exist? Note that the neat thing about
recursive SOA queries is that, barring abnormal responses like
SERVFAIL/FORMERR/REFUSED, you always get an SOA RR in the response (either
the SOA that was requested, or an NXDOMAIN response with an SOA in the
Authority Section for the closest enclosing zone). I suspect you
misdiagnosed the original problem and/or didn't delegate properly. I would
definitely *not* resort to forwarding in this situation.

- Kevin