Name Resolution Problem

Randy Adams Randy.Adams at Telus.com
Wed Aug 29 19:03:03 UTC 2001

I agree. Not DNS (BIND) server related.

I would also check the name resolution config on the remote workstations.

If they are resolving the name from in-addr-arpa when you do a ping test,
they may cache that entry... thus allowing you to get to the devices by name
after that.

The other thing you should check is your domain suffix search order in your
client configs. Make sure that the domain suffix for the servers you want to
be able to get to is listed there.

And finally.

Use NSlookup from one of the workstations and lookup the names of the
servers using the FQDN to make sure you are getting an appropriate (any?)
response from your DNS.\

Good luck.

Randy Adams - CCNA, MCSE
Network Manager