[Q] DNS record on previous name server

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 29 17:21:33 UTC 2001

Chiyuki Ikejima wrote:

> I would like to have some advice from DNS wizards here, if there is any
> organization can make political action when an ISP does not delete a domain
> record from their name server after the domain moved out from their hosting
> service. I mean, does any organization has right to step into ISP to watch
> their DNS configuration and if needed has right to order them fix it.

No organisation I know of has a role, presumably you could try
the group who manage the DNS domain above them or ICANN.

The problem will typically only affect the users of that ISP, so
if they complain, go elsewhere the problem is solved. So this
can usually be left to the market for ISP's.

More problematic is when institutions without a commercial
relationship to the end user are not pulling their weight, this
typically happens with the TLD's.

For example you'd think Network Solution would ensure a DNS
server holding the "US" TLD domain would be patched up to
date.... think again. But other than lobbying most "US" domain
users have little control of the security or correctness of the
"US" domain.

Berkeley.Edu have a remarkable amount of control of the global
DNS, and do a good job, but I wonder how their security measures
compare to the ram raid proof, 24x7 guarded, CCTV backed, secure
Internet exchange I went to last. Perhaps they are okay but a
lot of the DNS is distributed along lines of historical
accident.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768