How to override too-short TTL?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Aug 27 22:18:45 UTC 2001

Frankly, if the makers of BIND wanted such an option to exist, it would
have existed a long time ago. This short-TTL problem has existed as long as
DNS has, although it is being increasingly exacerbated by the popularity of
DNS-based load-balancing schemes. I'm sure you can appreciate, however,
that the idea of holding onto a cache entry after the domain owner has
claimed any validity or currency of the entry's value, understandably makes
many folks quite queasy. This is not within the spirit of the original
DNS RFCs or anything since.

Perhaps a better approach would be to come up with a cache-invalidation
scheme whereby nameservers and/or caches could inform their downstream
clients when a piece of data changes before its TTL has expired. This could
be a generalized form of NOTIFY, and I've already toyed with such an idea
in my mind and -- to a much lesser degree -- in the BIND 9 codebase.

bind-users, however, would not be an appropriate forum to discuss such a
protocol change.

- Kevin