restarting named...takes a long long time ???

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Aug 24 18:23:02 UTC 2001

In article <9m65ln$dqn at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Frank Benady <f.benady at french-connexion.fr> wrote:
>I run Bind 8.2.3-REL on Linux Red Hat 6.0
>
>named serves about 4000 zones on the server.
>
>The pb : it takes 20 up to 30 minutes to restart named with the following
>command
>
>/usr/sbin/named -c /etc/named/named.conf
>
> Is it normal ? Is it because of the 4000 db.files it has to read ?

Yes.  It takes time to read and process thousands of zone files.

>Moreover, when named restarts the syslogd start eating up all the ressources
>on the server.

Unless you have a multiprocessor machine, syslogd and named are fighting
for CPU time and disk bandwidth.

>Do I have to stop syslod before restarting named ?

It would probably be better to adjust what named logs.  For every domain
that it loads, it sends a log message stating what it's doing.  If you
don't need them, you can do:

logging {
  category load { null; };
};

Also, check your log to see whether you're reporting lots of warnings while
files, it will log "No default TTL set, using SOA Minimum instead" for
every domain.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA