I cannot do reverse lookups of my internal LAN

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 24 12:45:09 UTC 2001

Trond Erling Hundal wrote:

> I have set up my network so that the dns points into my web server in my LAN. (ip: 192.168.1.4)

A DNS server can serve these addresses, and the reverse
addresses but......

An Internet connected DNS server must not serve RFC1918
addresses to other people (Mainly because they can not use
them).

Many Web servers have private addresses (like 192.168.1.4), but
the device connecting them to the Internet (router/firewall)
will hide this fact to the outside world, using NAT or Port
forwarding or other esoteric technologies. A public DNS server
will typically present an IP address "belonging" to the firewall
or router in these circumstances.