dns entry incorporating web port number?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Aug 23 22:04:40 UTC 2001

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 10:00:42AM -0700, Michael Davis wrote:

> My apologies in advance if this is well known, but so far the
> answer to this one eludes me.
>
> Here's what I'd like to do: given that I have two (or more) web-based
> apps on the same box, distinguished only by port numbers, my users can
> go to a site such as xyz.belmont.edu:8950 for the first app, or
> xyz.belmont.edu:8960 for the second app, and so on.
>
> I'd rather be able to create a DNS entry (I'm guessing a cname entry
> here) which would itself point to the correct port, thus something like
> app1.belmont.edu which would point over to xyz.belmont.edu:8950, and so
> on.
>
> It's just that users generally foul up on entering the correct port
> number.

This is not a DNS question.  Not yet, anyway.

Rather than separating your sites by ports, use name-based virtual
hosts.  The advantage is, instead of xyz:NNNN, you can use content-
related names.  chem-101.belmont.edu vs. russlit-3.belmont.edu, e.g.

See <URL: http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/name-based.html> or

OSIS Center Computer Support					EMT-B