Global Availibity

Joseph K Gainey gainey at ecn.purdue.edu
Thu Aug 23 15:52:16 UTC 2001

Like I said no screaming at me please ... this was not my choice.  Now the
fact remains that the failure of more than one site at anytime has extremely
low.  But basically what your telling me is that in fact someone will actually
have to go in and twiddle the records if a site goes down.  fine ... now I do
NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT (have i said it enough?) care about have true load
balancing because in fact any single sight and there are more than the three
listed can handle the traffic for all of them ... that being said I just need
some dumb dns probe that says are you alive? nope then i'll remove your ip
address from the list.  it's that simple ... in fact if i really and truely
wanted to i would just write some dumb perl script that does dynamic updates
to the dns servers and bingo its done.  now i'm asking is there some smarter
way to do this?