DNS debate

Will Yardley william+dns at hq.newdream.net
Wed Aug 22 20:22:26 UTC 2001

Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <9m0ir7$5hc at pub3.rc.vix.com>, JT <VGPQKSRSKVIS at spammotel.com> wrote:

> >Nope, if I understand the question right, he's wrong and his friends
> >are right.
> >
> >The IP addresses of the authoratative nameservers are carried along
> >with the domain registration. The registrar who handles your domain
> >will tell the root nameservers the names AND IP ADDRESSES of your
> >authoratative nameservers. Thus, if you want to change the IP address
> >of one of your nameservers, change it at your registrar, not with
> >Network Solutions.
>
> But what if two different registrars have host records for the same
> nameserver, but they have different IPs?  Only one glue record will be
> installed on the GTLD servers -- do you know how it decides which?

my understanding is that the root servers get the host record from the
registrar, and that even if the nameserver has the totally wrong IP with
a second registrar the domain will work.  this has definitely proved to
be the case in my own personal experience.  i will try to find an
example - we have a number of customers who have the IP address of one
of our old nameservers in the record with their registrar; however if
you dig at the gtld or root servers you will get the correct IP address.

that's what i was trying to say in the first place (although perhaps i
wasn't specific enough).

Sintax error in config file! (line 378)
aborted!

PGP Public Key: