Bind 9.1.3 vs solaris8 bind?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Aug 22 19:13:15 UTC 2001

In article <9m0uah$7m7 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Pierre Girard  <pierreg at crt.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>Hello,
>    we setup a dns server sometime ago and only recently we noticed that
>some domains don't get resolved properly.  Since we have 3 dns servers
>running, we looked on the other and it was working as expected.  After
>looking a bit more, we noticed that if we used the named shipped with
>solaris 8 with the same configuration files that it worked but not if we
>used bind 9.1.3 (or 9.1.1 initially).
>
>Another thing i noticed is that if i use host , the domain is not found
>but if i use host -a, then it is found and after that host works ok too.
>
>Did anyone encounter such a problem before?
>Thanks.
>
>gate# bin/host www.inro.ca 132.204.100.227

The name servers for inro.ca are:

inro.ca.		IN NS  inronet.inro.ca.
inro.ca.		IN NS  twinkle.generation.net.

There are several problems:

1) twingle.generation.net doesn't answer authoritatively for the inro.ca
   domain.  It's answering with cached data, so it's apparently not
   configured as a slave server.

2) inronet.inro.ca has both a CNAME and an A record:

inronet.inro.ca.	1D IN CNAME	inronet.inro.ca.
inronet.inro.ca.	1D IN A		206.167.22.3
inronet.inro.ca.	1D IN CNAME	inronet.inro.ca.

Not only does it have a CNAME and other data, the CNAME points back to
itself!

3) www.inro.ca is an alias for inronet.inro.ca, whose problems have already
   been described.

BIND 9 apparently detects and rejects the records because of these
problems, while BIND 8 allowed them through.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA