forwarder question

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 22 01:33:15 UTC 2001

Thomas Stalder wrote:

> Is ther an option to have the name server (Bind 8.2.3) to use always
> the same forwarder from it's list as long as it is available?
> In the case below this would mean always use 10.20.8.8 and with next
> preference 10.25.10.8 for example.
> Or is this always random?

In 8.2.3 it isn't random it chooses amongst the fastest
responding servers.

Given it chooses amongst fastest responding servers there would
seem little reason to want to specify a preference, unless you
want a slower response?

Anyone know if BIND 9 still uses forwarders sequentially ? I'm
sure I saw a reference saying it now uses RTT, but all I can
find is a comment that it doesn't in February of this year.