DNS debate

Will Yardley william+dns at hq.newdream.net
Tue Aug 21 21:49:19 UTC 2001

Fongaboo wrote:
> I'm in a debate over DNS. If I change the A Record for a name server
> and submit a host change to NSI to change the listed IP for that
> server, will all domains that list that server as the provider of
> authoritative information resolve to the new IP for info? A call to
> NSI on the matter says yes.. that some alternate registrars may list
> the old IP on WHOIS information, but the root servers will still
> direct everyone to the hostname of the name server, a lookup is
> performed and then the lookup server serving the person making the DNS
> request queries our server at its new IP. Two of my colleagues agree
> with this. But two others say that no - the root servers refer people
> by IP address, so when a lookup is performed it designates people to
> the authoritative server by IP as listed on the record for the domain
> being looked up. Does this make any sense? And does anyone have an
> answer?

You are correct - even if a registrar has the wrong IP address, the root
servers will still have the right info.

>  shot through the heart              ooh baby do you know what that's worth
>  and you're to blame                         ooh heaven is a place on earth
>  darling you give love                  they say in heaven love comes first
>  a bad name                              we'll make heaven a place on earth
>  ORBITAL                                                     "Halcyon Live"

umm i think credit for that one has to go to bon jovi.... orbital may
have covered it, but they can't take credit for the words or music.

Sintax error in config file! (line 378)
aborted!

PGP Public Key:
http://infinitejazz.net/will/pgp/