bind 8.2.3 core dump

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Aug 20 08:27:39 UTC 2001

    Rodney> Running bind 8.2.3REL on Solaris 5.7 Generic_106541-08.
    Rodney> Bind failed leaving a core dump. There are no messages in
    Rodney> the messages log indicating why it has failed.  I have run
    Rodney> bind in debug level 1 and found no indication of the cause
    Rodney> either.

The chances are the circumstances causing the core dump mean the name
server is unable to flush its I/O buffers containing error message and
the like.

    Rodney> Is there anything I do with the core file to determine
    Rodney> what has caused the failure?

Send it to whoever gave you BIND 8.2.3? Or at least tell them about it.

If the name server binary contains debugging information -- it depends
on how it was compiled and linked -- you could use a debugger like gdb
to analyse the core dump. You'll need the source code for 8.2.3 as
well.