Named deleting interface at random times

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Aug 20 08:15:30 UTC 2001

    Nik> I am having a strange problem.

    Nik> In /var/log/messages I see entries like

    Nik> named[860]: Cleaned cache of 0 RRsets named[860]: deleting interface [IP_ADDRESS_HERE].53

Don't hide or mangle log messages (or snippets of config files).

The name server checks the status of the system's network interfaces
every cleaning-interval minutes. By default this is done once an hour.
If the server finds a new network interface has been enabled, it will
try set up a listener socket for incoming queries on that interface.
Similarly if the server finds that an interface has gone away, it
deletes that interface from the ones it listens on.