Help - Name server timeout

Will Yardley william+dns at hq.newdream.net
Sat Aug 18 00:53:09 UTC 2001

Barry Margolin wrote:
> Will Yardley  <william+dns at hq.newdream.net> wrote:

> >there is no A record for that domain.  i believe that sendmail by default
> >won't send mail to, or receive mail from, domains that don't have an A record
> >that resolves.

> You seem to have completely forgotten about MX records.  One of the reasons
> MX records were created was to allow mailing to addresses that aren't on
> the Internet, and therefore don't have A records.

no - i haven't forgotten about MX records.  however some versions of
sendmail (especially more recent ones such as the version used by the
person who wrote in) do checks to see if a hostname resolves
cannonically by default - if you don't want sendmail to perform these
checks you have to add stuff to the sendmail configuration file.  for
instance some versions of sendmail will refuse mail from a domain that
doesn't have an A record (even if there's an MX record), and the same
for sending mail (or at least that's my understanding).  This is why
there are options like 'Accept_unresolvable_domains'.  There are also
some problems in 8.12 if sendmail gets the wrong kind of response for an
aaaa record if sendmail is configured for ipv6

for instance i was having problems with sendmail 8.12 beta and the
domain 'prodigy.net.mx'.  there is a 'servfail' response when asking for
an aaaa record instead of an empty response with an soa record.

this seems to cause problems with the cannonification process in
some versions of sendmail.

Sintax error in config file! (line 378)
aborted!