Oddness with a query

Duncan Hill dhill at cricalix.net
Thu Aug 16 15:47:52 UTC 2001

I may be in the wrong place here, and if so, please point me in the
right direction.

I have a system that is suddenly failing in DNs related activities
(lookups).  dig fails, postfix fails, telnet fails.  nslookup works - go
figure.

A tcpdump parsed through ethereal indicates:
(dig)
Standard query A www.pct.edu
Standard query response CNAME mayer.pct.edu A 12.23.198.64
Destination unreachable.
 - Dig reports timeout.

(nslookup)
Standard query A www.pct.edy
Standard query PTR 4.112.206.167.in-addr.arpa
Standard query response PTR ns4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net
Standard query A www.pct.edu
Standard query response CNAME mayer.pct.edu A 12.23.198.64
 - nslookup returns a value.

I'm stumped as to why the destination unreachable is occuring.  I can
provide the actual dump if anyone thinks it will be useful.

--

Sapere aude
My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely.